Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to b...
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we're now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We've recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart is based in San Mateo, California and Columbus, Ohio.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we'd love to hear from you!
As a Software Engineer on the Machine Learning team, you'll join an exciting new team focused on providing engineering solutions to enable our data scientists and research scientists to more effectively realize their value to the business. Machine Learning is critical to Upstart's core business, and our greatest competitive advantage lies in the fact that we're able to innovate on our AI engine quickly. This team's mission is to solve software problems in the product that consume our ML models and build infrastructure to allow research scientists to move faster with respect to model training, development, testing, and deployment.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Build, maintain, and monitor high-quality software applications that enable machine learning models to be applied to the ever-evolving needs of the business
- Develop the scaffolding that allows research scientists to integrate models into production services and expose APIs to allow other software services to leverage them
- Enable rapid experimentation and feedback loops in our model serving code so that we have an ability to continuously improve
- Work collaboratively with research scientists, data engineers, and devops engineers to ensure that model training and deployment is a repeatable process that relies heavily on robots (not humans)
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience building and maintaining backend software services and APIs
- Familiarity with containers, continuous integration, and kubernetes
- Experience with some or many of the following: python (flask/django), ruby on rails, scikit-learn, interactive notebooks (jupyter/zeppelin), apache spark, kafka, and AWS
- Excellent quantitative reasoning skills
- Interest in working at the intersection of engineering and machine learning
- Desire to be part of a dynamic and fast
What You'll Love
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.