Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a lead...
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world's quality information to the people who need it.
Every day, SmartNews analyzes millions of URLs to deliver the top articles that matter in near-real time to millions of users around the world. Our News Ranking team, along with our AI Foundation team, works on a range of recommendation and optimization problems, e.g. news feed ranking, push recommendation, search ranking/discovery, collaborative filtering, personalized recommendation, diversification to deliver the world's quality information to the people who need it.
This is a hybrid of system engineering and machine learning role:
- Propose machine learning initiatives to fuel our business growth, build end to end machine learning framework/solution to improve our KPI/metrics
- Write server-side production code for applications that are robust and efficient
- Develop machine learning algorithms, combining with rule-based optimization to deliver improvement in product metrics
- Build recommendation and ranking algorithms for news articles
- Develop toolings to make ML engineers to be more productive
- Lead medium/large sized projects to improve news ranking
- 3+ years of experience in designing and implementing machine learning algorithms, and applying them to real world problems
- Solid Machine Learning background and deep understanding of certain domain of machine learning techniques, especially in natural language processing, recommendation systems, computer visions
- Strong software development skills with proven record of shipping changes to production that improved product metrics with machine learning technologies
- Able to have deep end-to-end understanding of sophisticated ranking systems and can proactively detect problems and make improvement suggestions
- Good written and spoken communication skills, can work across functional teams
- Expert coding abilities in multiple programming languages (e.g. Java, C++, Python, Scala)
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Experience with cloud based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Strong interest in news media and our mission
- Equity included
- 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (60% coverage for dependents)
- Monthly housing, commute, mobile phone and gym allowances
- 401k matching program
- Free lunch, snacks, drinks, etc.
- Pet friendly office