The Accuracy Research Team at Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB) advances state of the art biological sequencing technology. Our Single-Mole...
The Accuracy Research Team at Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB) advances state of the art biological sequencing technology. Our Single-Molecule Real Time (SMRT) system produces highly-accurate, long-read DNA sequences to deliver on the promise of modern genomic medicine. PacBio generates the fundamental biological information that is transforming our understanding of biology and human health. From humans to viruses, from ecologies to single cells, we are at the forefront of changing what is possible by unlocking the ability to see underlying biological truth.
We operate at the near-atomic level, capturing signals produced by DNA replication using Nature's own machinery. There is plenty of room at the bottom, accompanied by the challenges of observing Nature at this scale. Our goal is to take the abundance of noisy, nano-scale measurements and reveal the underling biological truth using well-founded, state-of-the-art techniques including physical models, statistical models, and machine learning techniques. We continuously improve our system to increase the accuracy and yield of our sequencing runs.
We seek people who have a passion about the ability of genomic medicine to transform the world for the better. You have the demonstrated background and ability to take extremely-challenging, imperfect, real-world observations of the natural world and rigorously extract the underlying truth with exact quantified measures of uncertainty which then lead to actionable results. You have intuition for mathematical modeling problems, analytical skills to back it up, and can clearly and concisely communicate results that hold up under scrutiny. If you can relate to Markov, Chebyshev, Chernoff, Hoeffding and build performant neural networks that take impossible ideas to tangible results, then you should come join us.
What you'll do
- Dive deep into data, learning and understanding the characteristics to extract both clear and hidden patterns.
- Explore models that capture fundamental information about single-molecule detection systems. Explore currently existing models and formulate completely novel approaches.
- Focus efforts on key initiatives that build on the core PacBio platform value to deliver solutions to extremely valuable unmet needs in medicine and human health.
- Enable entirely new areas of biological discovery in everything from human to viruses
- Make impossibly good things a reality that apply at-scale to transform health for the entire planet.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field with a focus on machine learning / statistical pattern recognition.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.