Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of technical excellence and a seamless customer...
Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of technical excellence and a seamless customer experience. We're intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
About the Team
The Catalog Data Science team is responsible for keeping Walmart's massive catalog data in high quality, and further enriching this data to help supplier onboarding, merchandise acquisition, inventory management, and shopper experience. We use cutting-edge technologies in software engineering, machine learning, deep learning, and analytics to tackle problems ranging from natural language understanding, image classification, and recommendation to outlier detection, visualization, and model serving. We write solid production code in Python, deploy and support model services and pipelines, and drive the limits in latency, throughput, and scalability. The work has high impact on business and user experience.
What you will do as a member of the team
Minimum Qualifications...Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
- Master and help evolve the team's technical stack (centered on Python, cloud, ML/DL, Docker, Kubernetes); understand Walmart's product, data and pipeline systems.
- Research, design, and implement data models and cutting-edge algorithms on high-dimensional, fast-moving, unstructured and structured data.
- Process complicated and large-scale datasets using distributed computing platform; extract insights from data.
- Write solid production code in Python. Conduct code reviews; help maintain and improve code quality across projects of the team.
- Lead projects (e.g., 2-5 developers, 6+ months). Take ownership of whole lifecycle of projects. Communicate with product managers, data science and engineering teams to align progress and collaborate on system integrations. Productionize solutions (such as in the form of model servers or cron jobs); maintain and continuously improve the solutions; address production issues. Present on projects within team or beyond to boost understanding, visibility, and business impact.
- Mentor junior team members, typically as a part of leading projects.
Preferred Qualifications...Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
- PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics
- 7 - 10 years of production level Experience working with Data science, machine learning, optimization models
- Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R
- 4 - 6 years of production level Experience using open-source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, TensorFlow, torch)
Benefits & Perks:
- Good skills in Python programming, or good skills in other languages and intermediate skills in Python.
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing, documentation, code structure, and version control with git.
- Proficiency in ML and DL libraries such as scikit-learn, PyTorch, TensorFlow, NumPy. Familiarity with the software ecosystem of "Py Data", ML, and DL.
- Significant experience with both "tradition" machine learning models (such as classification, random forest, boosting, ensemble) and deep learning models (such as transfer learning, reinforcement learning, especially on text and image problems).
- Experience going through the full lifecycle of a real-world modeling project (e.g., 6+ months), in a leading role, from inception, problem definition, solution design, to implementation, production deployment, maintenance, and refactor.
- Experience using massive amounts of data, hence dealing with tools such as Hive, Spark, Kafka, Big Query, Elastic Search, Mongo, MySQL, Postgres, data lake.
- Experience with Cloud technologies (e.g., from AWS, Azure, and GCP (Google Cloud Platform).
- Experience with debugging, profiling, and efforts to improve code efficiency and scalability.
- Experience with distributed computing using tools such as Spark, Dask, Ray, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with data visualization using tools such as matplotlib, bokeh, plotly, altair, searborn, etc. A good feel for making data plots clean and informative.
- Experience developing and using Restful APIs, model services.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and basic web development, setting up a website with compelling visualizations and interactions to showcase work or facilitate monitoring/diagnostics.
- Publication of peer-reviewed journal articles, as a lead author, on machine learning or software system topics. Or presentations of tech work in other public venues.
- Contribution to open-source projects, or a personal GitHub account with some public repos to showcase work or provide open-source libraries.
- Experience mentoring team members.
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.We're virtual
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.