If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what health care looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
We're looking for a Senior Machine Learning Engineer to design new data infrastructures and using that infrastructure to deploy machine learning solutions. In this role, you will directly contribute to our mission by working 70% engineering and 30% machine learning/data science building AI/ML systems, models, and infrastructure that increases the quality, performance, accuracy, and effectiveness of our products. Additional responsibility is to support machine learning efforts, including tools design, pipeline maintenance and upgrades, as well identifying current and future bottlenecks of the system
As a Machine Learning Engineer on the team you will build data and tools that enable analytics to inform product and engineering teams at scale.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- You have engineered metrics and statistical information out of massive and complex datasets (e.g. Spark MLlib, Druid, Solr, Kafka)
- You have built robust feature extraction and ML training pipelines and have a keen eye for where to automate (e.g. Oozie, Airflow)
- You have done prototype-to-production development of ML models. You care about improving training performance by researching into latest algorithms. You also value scaling inferences by utilizing CPU/GPU resources in parallelized fashion and have a strong foundation in data structures and optimization algorithms
- You are knowledgeable in classic machine learning algorithms (SVM, Random Forest, Naive Bayes, KNN etc). Good understanding of bias/variance trade-off, regularization, dimension reduction
- You have some experience in modern deep learning techniques via packages such as Keras/Tensorflow
- Software engineering fundamentals: version control systems (i.e. Git, Github) and workflows, and ability to write production-ready code
- Participating in the engineering life-cycle, including designing high-quality ML infrastructure and data pipelines, writing production code, conducting code reviews, and working alongside our infrastructure and reliability teams
- You care about data generating processes, not just modeling them, but understanding the actual human and computational behavior from which data emerges
- You are fluent in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Scala) and are comfortable developing code within a team environment (e.g. Github, testing, code reviews)
- You are self-motivated and curious. You continue to learn on the job
- You have demonstrated creative and critical thinking with an innate drive to improve how things work
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity. You find a way through. You anticipate. You connect and synthesize
- You can influence decisions with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Design and create environments for data scientists to build models and manipulate data
- Work within client systems to extract data and place it within an analytical environment
- Learn and understand customer technology environments and systems
- Define the deployment approach and infrastructure for models and be responsible for ensuring that businesses can use the models we develop
- Reveal the true value of data by working with data scientists to manipulate and transform data into appropriate formats in order to deploy actionable machine learning models
- Partner with data scientists to ensure solution deployability at scale, in harmony with existing business systems and pipelines, and such that the solution can be maintained throughout its life cycle
- Create operational testing strategies, validate and test the model in QA, and ensure the quality of the delivered product
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or a related field
- 5+ years experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Software Engineer, or Data Engineer
- 3+ years Python, Scala or Java
- 3+ years experience writing SQL to debug, and optimize distributed SQL queries
- Experience deploying data science models in a production setting
- Experience working with and productionizing machine learning algorithms (SVM, Random Forest, Naive Bayes, KNN etc)
- Experience building robust data pipelines using a variety of data sources, programming languages, and toolsets
- Hands-on experience in one or more big data ecosystem products/languages such as Spark and Kafka
- Experience working within operating systems (e.g., Linux) and storage systems (e.g., Azure, Databricks, GCP)
- Experience with software development lifecycle experience including design, documentation with experience translating business requirements and use cases into a data solution, including ingestion of many data sources, ETL processing, data access, and consumption, as well as custom analytics
- Experience presenting and communicating to internal and external customers/clients/stakeholders
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- A Master's or other advanced degree in data science or a related field
- Hands-on experience with one or more ecosystem technologies (e.g., HBase, Impala, Solr, Kudu, Streamsets, NiFi, ElasticSearch, Databricks, Snowflake, AWS/Azure/GCP)
- Relevant side projects (e.g. contributions to an open source technology stack)
- Experience working with Data Science/Machine Learning software and libraries such as h2o, TensorFlow, Keras, scikit-learn, etc.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or some other containerization technology
- AWS Sagemaker, MLFlow experience
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 6 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $79,700 to $142,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: machine learning, machine learning engineer, data science, spark, kafka, python, pyspark, engineer, data pipeline, telecommuter, telecommute, remote, work from home