Teledyne Scientific Company (TSC) has a legacy of over 50 years of advanced research and technology development. Our custo...
Teledyne Scientific Company (TSC) has a legacy of over 50 years of advanced research and technology development. Our customer base consists of DARPA, ONR, AFRL, ARL, and other government and proprietary customers. TSC's Intelligent Systems Laboratory in North Carolina is a state-of-the-art research and development research facility, dedicated to R&D in the areas of computational neuroscience, deep learning, machine learning, persistent surveillance, autonomous systems and computer vision. The laboratory currently is host to world-class scientists and engineers, with advanced degrees in computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering, neuroscience, chemistry, biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Teledyne Scientific Company is seeking an exceptional research scientist to support advanced research and development projects that require algorithm and software development to solve challenging real-world problems. The candidate should have significant experience in leading research and development projects, as well as a proven track record of writing winning proposals to secure funding. This position is at our research laboratory in Research Triangle Park, Durham, North Carolina.
Specific duties include:
- As Principal Investigator, define the technical strategy and objectives for successful program execution. Work with program managers to monitor and plan program expenditures and resource allocation. Lead technical teams in idea development and program execution. Brief customers on technical progress, challenges, and program status.
- Define, develop, and deliver novel solutions to a broad range of problems that include applications in artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learning and decision systems, computer vision, target detection and tracking, signal analysis, and robotic systems for the Government and commercial industry.
- Develop and present concepts to customers.
- Mentor junior staff in support of technical and professional development.
- Lead government and commercial programs. Develop overall program strategy and direction. Support customer meetings and briefings. (~60%)
- Marketing, Concept Development, and Writing Proposals: Research customer needs, aggressively market Teledyne capabilities and concepts, and develop proposals. (~30%)
- Support overall strategic direction of the division: Work with senior leadership to identify strategic opportunities for the group and emerging customer needs. (~10%)
- 5-year minimum experience
- Proven track record as a successful Principal Investigator / Program Lead
- Experience writing and leading successful proposals
- Strong foundation in engineering mathematics (differential and integral calculus, div/grad/curl, vector algebra, Fourier transforms, linear algebra, partial and ordinary differential equations, probability, statistics)
- Experience in machine learning, artificial intelligence, image processing, signal processing, automated target recognition, autonomy, remote sensing, radar, chemical sensing, data analytics, planning, or similar research topic
- Facility with Linux and Linux software development tools
- Facility with Python and NumPy
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (presentation & writing) skills
- Experience in NP-hardness, computational theory, compiler development, data structures, and the theory of machine learning
- Experience in optimization (linear, linear constrained, nonlinear)
- Experience in multiple programming paradigms (functional programming, dataflow programming, logic programming, constraint propagation)
- Experience in Pytorch, TensorFlow or Keras
- Facility with Julia, C++, CUDA, Matlab
- Facility with the theory of backpropagation and other machine learning algorithms
- Candidates are required to have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or comparable technical degree.
What can Teledyne offer YOU?
- Candidates are required to be U.S. Citizens.
- Current SECRET clearance or eligible to obtain Security Clearance.
A Competitive Salary & Benefits Package
Excellent Health, Dental, Vision
Paid Vacation Time
Paid Sick Time
Life Insurance Benefits
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Educational Tuition Reimbursement
Employee Fun Events throughout the year Teledyne is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,color,religion,religious creed,gender,sexual orientation,gender identity,gender expression,transgender,pregnancy,marital status,national origin,ancestry,citizenship status,age,disability,protected Veteran Status,genetics or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal,state,or local law. If you need assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment,please email or call . Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.