Avalo is a plant development company using machine learning and evolutionary biology to make a more sustainable and climate-resilient food s...
Avalo is a plant development company using machine learning and evolutionary biology to make a more sustainable and climate-resilient food system. We're a fast-growing, dedicated group of scientists, gardeners, and engineers all rolled into one, and we're looking for people passionate about linking science and practice to create the next generation of agriculture. As an early stage company, our positions are flexible and come with significant scope to define research directions. We're based in Durham, NC, but fully open to remote work, depending on the position and needs.
Please note: we're eager to train the right candidates for this role, and encourage those who meet at least two thirds of the criteria to apply.
Role & Responsibility
Preferred skills & abilities
- Develop and implement appropriate machine learning/pattern recognition algorithms to help identify the causal loci underlying complex traits and improving prediction and forecasting using heterogeneous data types
- Perform end-to-end data analyses, from hypotheses formulation, experimental design, writing analysis plans, data cleaning, executing analysis, and preparing reports and documentation
- Strengthen Avalo's analytics and prediction toolkit by identifying and applying emerging techniques and developing novel analysis tools as needed
- Increase the external recognition of Avalo's data science work by participating in conferences, publishing work and developing external collaborations.
What we offer
- Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, computational biology, evolutionary biology, or similar demonstration of research ability and experience
- Strong computational and mathematical fundamentals, including machine learning, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience with large datasets and high-performance computing
- Fluent coding in at least one common bioinformatics programming language
- Familiarity with building predictive models from heterogeneous datasets
- Familiarity with dimensionality reduction techniques
- Familiarity with biological data resources or genomics
- Intellectual curiosity and attention to detail
- Proactive approach to collaborations
- Passion for Avalo's mission
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Flexible healthcare reimbursement
- 90% work/10% personal scholarship time division
- Casual and intellectually stimulating work environment