The Applied AI Research team works on innovative solutions to solve practical real-world problems with direct impact on users of the OpenAI ...
The Applied AI Research team works on innovative solutions to solve practical real-world problems with direct impact on users of the OpenAI API . Powerful language models like GPT-3 excel at learning behavior patterns from the pre-training or fine-tuning datasets. Thus the quality and scale of the datasets will play a crucial role in any applications built on top of such models. We seek a Machine Learning Engineer to help design and build the pipelines to collect and manage high-quality data for various projects within Applied AI. Candidates for the Machine Learning Engineer, Data Quality role should have good engineering skills, industry experience in Machine Learning / Data Science, knowledge of processing a large amount of data in various formats and passion for building AI products.
In this role you will:
- Design data pipelines, including finding appropriate data sources, scraping, filtering, post-processing, de-duplicating, and versioning. The system should be robust and scalable for production use.
- Design and implement frameworks to evaluate the effectiveness of our models and data. For example, building an automated fine-tuning pipeline to compare the performances of different datasets or models on the same task.
- Work closely with others who might be data contributors or consumers or both to incorporate their data usage needs on a variety of tasks and domains.
- Work with our human labeling service to refine the procedure and guidelines to collect high-quality human annotation data.
- Conduct open-ended research to improve the quality of collected data, including but not limited to, semi-supervised learning, human-in-the-loop machine learning and fine-tuning with human feedback.
You might enjoy this role if you:
- Have 3+ years industry experience as a Data Engineer, Machine Learning Engineer, or Data Scientist, dealing with large amounts of data on a daily basis.
- Are goal-oriented, passionate about building cutting-edge AI products and solving real-world problems from our API developers.
- Have a strong belief in the criticality of high-quality data and are highly motivated to work with the associated challenges.
- Enjoy taking ownership while working with others to understand their needs.
- Care about code quality and enjoy building tools that can be used by many others.
- Have experience working in large distributed systems.
- Love working with a team.
We're building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations via .
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)