ABOUT RESPIRA LABS
Respira Labs is on a quest to stop the progression of and ultimately prevent respiratory diseases by empowering patients...
ABOUT RESPIRA LABS
Respira Labs is on a quest to stop the progression of and ultimately prevent respiratory diseases by empowering patients, caregivers/families and clinicians with high quality and actionable health information at home. The company was founded by Dr. Maria Artunduaga, a multi-awarded Harvard/Cal physician-scientist who decided to leave a surgical career and retrain in public health and technology after losing her grandmother to an emphysema (COPD) crisis. Backed by NSF and NIH, she and her team have developed a patented "acoustic resonance" technology that can detect air trapping, an earlier and more sensitive marker of lung dysfunction. This technology has the potential to accurately diagnose and predict deterioration (exacerbations) 4+ days in advance using low-cost, over-the -counter, sensors (10x cheaper). The team is working with leaders in respiratory medicine (CHEST), alumni from MIT & Harvard, with a trajectory on NASA Google, Intel; partnerships with El Camino Hospital/Fogarty Institute of Innovation, ResMed/Propeller and the COPD Foundation to bring the technology to market by 2023. Respira has raised over $2M from NSF and NIH and is preparing to raise $2M - $3M from VCs in anticipation of preclinical trials with long COVID (Q4 2021) and asthma patients (Q2 2022). In short, Respira Labs is positioning itself to become the next Dexcom for respiratory health ($43B market cap, $2B in ARR), but aiming to become a full management platform (think Livongo, IPO ROI >15x in 2019, $18.5B merger in 2020) by 2025.
LEAD OF DATA SCIENCE AND MACHINE LEARNING
As Lead of Data Science, you will oversee the development of algorithms that will enable detection, prediction, and prevention of respiratory disease. Your algorithms will help decipher and interpret patterns in our acoustic and resonance data, and map them to physiological variables. You will oversee the design and implementation of data processing algorithms for raw data running in embedded systems, mobile applications and back-end servers. You will work directly with the back-end team to design the data storage and processing infrastructure, including provisions for health-related data, and enabling data processing pipelines for classical data analysis and AI paradigms. You will work directly with the front-end team to inform data presentation strategies and UX designs for patients and medical professionals. You will leverage your deep understanding of both data science and physiology to bridge communication between our engineering and clinical teams. You will help design key validation and outcomes studies, lead the analysis of results, and present key findings in journals and at conferences alongside the CEO.
Your role at Respira Labs:
- You will be the owner of Respira Labs' data science strategy, speaking directly with patients, doctors and potential customers and working alongside the CEO and technical/scientific advisors;
- Work alongside the CEO and technical/scientific advisors to guide our AI product strategy and development roadmap for regulatory clearance;
- Oversee the design and validation of Respira Labs' unique biomarkers and predictive algorithms;
- Help demonstrate the effectiveness of the Respira Labs solution in diverse patient populations;
- Explore ways to leverage Respira Labs' acoustic datasets to develop new insights and find new patterns that help model disease;
- Provide design input specifications, requirements, and guidance to software engineers for algorithm implementation, data storage, processing and UX;
- Help design, coordinate, and deploy clinical trials and validation studies;
- Help draft scientific and medical manuscripts for publication in journals and for presentation at conferences;
- Help design data storage and processing pipelines for health-related applications.
You'd be a good fit if you have:
- An MS or PhD in data science, bioinformatics, signal processing, or other relevant field;
- 5+ years of experience in a data role, ideally working on products in healthcare or life sciences;
- 2+ years in a leadership or senior position;
- Deep understanding of human physiology and computational biology;
- Practical experience in machine learning, data mining, algorithm development, and signal processing;
- Prior experience designing and overseeing clinical trials for medical devices or therapeutics;
- Experience developing algorithms for medical devices or other healthcare products in a startup environment;
- Working knowledge of HIPAA and working with medical data sets.
We want you to know:
You could be a great candidate even if you don't fit the description above exactly. You may also possess important skills that we haven't considered. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself in your cover letter (What's your superpower?, What were four things about your last gig that energized you?, What were four things about your last gig that drained you?, What types of challenges do you enjoy?, What is your ideal long-term role?, Which company/ies do you admire? What have you accomplished that you are most proud of?, What are a couple of things that define you?).
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We have already taken steps to meet that commitment (>50% of the team has a diverse background). We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Why Respira Labs?
- It is a mission-driven company providing an opportunity to make a significant difference for the future of respiratory health.
- You will have an opportunity to shape our company culture and our technical team working with the CEO and the advisory board.
- You will have full premium medical/dental/vision insurance coverage, three weeks paid time off (PTO) for the first three years, and additional weeks after years three and five. WFH two days per week if needed.
- A competitive salary (competitive with industry standards and commensurate with qualifications), generous equity, and benefits.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to with the title of the position as the subject line.