Leidos' Security Detection & Automation operation is seeking a Lead Algorithm Development Engineer in St. Pet...
Leidos' Security Detection & Automation operation is seeking a Lead Algorithm Development Engineer in St. Petersburg, FL to join our multidisciplinary, highly energized and expert engineering team. Join us for an exciting opportunity to work with cutting edge technology on developing state-of-the-art products, and make global impact in airport security detection.
As our Lead Algorithm Development Engineer, you will be working on algorithms for 3D volumetric x-ray detection of explosives (and other prohibited items) in passenger baggage at airports - your algorithms will be deployed on thousands of scanners in daily operation around the world! You will lead the development of prototype code and implement image-processing/computer vision/machine learning techniques leading to regulator testing and certification.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, implement, and test certified image processing algorithms, as well as analyze and organize data, and write technical reports.
- Develop new algorithms as well as improvements to previously developed algorithms.
- Build reusable and reliable C++ code as well as refactor and improve legacy code
- Organize complex software development projects into manageable tasks and provide level of effort development estimates, lead tasks as well as algorithm team members.
- Lead all data collection activities at regulators and internal sites.
- Communicate with regulators as needed and assist them to deploy as well as support detection algorithms.
- Interfacing with other software teams to understand, integrate, and deploy algorithm component with external software components.
- Communicate with both external and internal customers, including cross-group functional team members and senior management to execute company goals and objectives.
- Implement other team member's ideas as well as working independently.
- MS in Computer / Electrical Engineering or a similar discipline and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in image processing, computer vision, and machine learning.
- Experience with image pre-processing, segmentation, feature detection, feature analysis, discrimination and machine learning.
- Knowledge of C / C++ programming languages
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Flexibility in adapting to the requirements of the algorithm development process.
- Organized in storing and communicating technical results and reports in an easy and traceable way to retrieve data to its source.
- Self-driven, able to identify problems, discuss and collaborate on possible solutions, and focus on completing all necessary tasks.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills at all levels.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint).
- Will require occasional travel (approximately 5%), domestic and international
- Ability to obtain a US security clearance (requires US Citizenship)
- Doctorate in related discipline, such as computer vision, image processing
- Knowledge of Matlab, Python, or similar, Linux / Unix operating systems and scripting
- Solid web-based programming skills and relational databases programming.
- Strong understanding of statistical pattern recognition and classification.
- Basic knowledge of X-ray systems and technologies.
- Experience in GPU programming.
- Knowledge of Six sigma or other continuous improvement processes.
- Current Secret clearance.
Our St. Pete office is a fast-paced, diverse and collaborative environment, only a stone's throw away from white sand beaches ranked #1 in US and Top 5 worldwide by TripAdvisor! While the incumbent must be local (or willing to relocate) in order to report onsite on a regular basis, we offer relocation assistance and flexible work arrangements. We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, exciting referral programs, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection and Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos' comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers.
SDASExternal Referral Bonus:
IneligiblePotential for Telework:
Yes, 10%Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Software EngineeringPay Range: