The Leidos Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) Accelerator is seeking a Chief Scientist in...
Description Job Description:
The Leidos Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) Accelerator is seeking a Chief Scientist in AI/ML for a senior technical leadership position. The Chief Scientist will work with the Director of AI/ML within the Office of Technology (OoT, and across Leidos to accelerate innovation by developing and refining strategy, directing major activities and programs, and representing Leidos within the broader AI/ML community.
The Chief Scientist in AI/ML will lead the formulation and execution of an ambitious research agenda that delivers key capabilities to our customers and markets. In collaboration with senior leaders, he/she will refine and expand a Leidos Enterprise strategy in AI/ML that supports our markets in Health, Civil, Defense, and Intelligence. He/she will help define and prioritize millions of dollars of internal Leidos investment in AI/ML, leading a deep and talented team of scientists and engineers as they design and execute ambitious projects aligned with that strategy. He/she will play a principal role in pursuing, capturing, and executing major new contract R&D opportunities with customers like DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, ARL, and NRO. He/she will provide AI/ML thought leadership within Leidos, to our customers, and throughout the broader ML community.
- Expand and enhance AI and ML strategy for a $10B+ Fortune 500 company with major markets in Defense, Intelligence, Civil, and Health.
- Design and articulate an AI/ML research agenda that is consistent with that strategy and supports a large pipeline of opportunities for which these technologies are critical.
- Develop a broad set of creative and innovative R&D concepts that address major and emerging AI/ML challenges and advance the state of the art in key areas of strategic importance to Leidos. Work with potential sponsors (internal and/or external) to secure funding for new research efforts based on those concepts.
-Provide senior technical direction to a team of 25+ Ph. D.-level AI/ML researchers within the LInC and informally to a larger community from across Leidos working on internally and externally funded R&D programs in AI and ML.
-Serve as a key technical expert on AI/ML within Leidos and across the community, including:
• Supporting major captures across all business areas by identifying opportunities to leverage AI/ML as part of an overall solution that delivers value to the customer, working with solution architects to design the AI/ML components that deliver that value, and reviewing proposals to ensure that they are effective and compelling.
• Advising C-suite and Leidos business areas leaders on a broad range of technology, strategy, and policy issues associated with AI and ML.
• Serving as a Leidos Technical Fellow, providing SME expertise across Leidos as part of the Leidos community of senior technical leaders.
• Representing Leidos as a member of external advisory groups in ML, AI and related areas.
-Advanced degree (Ph.D highly desired) in computer science or a related discipline, such as statistics or applied mathematics.
-10+ years of technical leadership as Program Manager or Principal Investigator for major AI/ML programs in industry, academia, or government.
-National / international reputation in one or more subfields of ML or AI, including: Computer Vision; Pattern Recognition; Predictive Modeling and Decision Support; Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing; Speech Processing/ASR; Machine Translation; Adversarial ML; AI Assurance; Explainable AI; Knowledge Representation and Reasoning; Graph Processing/Graph Analytics.
-Thorough knowledge and understanding of many areas of Machine Learning, including Deep Learning.
-Extensive record of widely cited publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
-Ability to communicate effectively about ML with a broad range of audiences, from internal leaders to external customers and from sophisticated ML researchers to those with little or no relevant background.
-TS//SCI preferred. The ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance is strongly preferred.
-Experience as a government Program Manager in a relevant R&D organization that supports AI/ML research (DARPA/IARPA/AFRL/NSF) or as a Principal Investigator executing research on major programs for such customers.
-Hands-on experience with a broad range of deep learning tools (e.g., TensorFlow, Spark, Theano, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, Keras, Caffe, Nvidia Digits) and collaboration environments (e.g. Jupyter notebooks, PyCharm)
-Extensive experience with many of the following approaches: Deep Learning (CNNs, RCNNs, LSTMs), GANs, Autoencoders, Reinforcement Learning, Siamese Networks, Regression, SVMs, HMMs, CRFs, LDA
-Experience in designing solutions that optimize ML performance by through advanced HW and software techniques.
LInC External Referral Bonus:
Eligible Potential for Telework:
No Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Day Requisition Category:
Professional Job Family:
Data Scientist Pay Range: