Global Health Labs is seeking an experienced Engineer/Scientist to join a dynamic R&D team that pushes the cutting edge of what is possible ...
Global Health Labs is seeking an experienced Engineer/Scientist to join a dynamic R&D team that pushes the cutting edge of what is possible in cost, ease of use, and performance for solutions designed for low resource settings in low- and middle-income countries.
Global Health Labs, Inc (GH Labs) is a nonprofit organization created in 2020 by Gates Ventures (the private office of Bill Gates) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, with an inspiring and ambitious mission to develop innovative solutions to address unmet needs in primary healthcare and the last mile.
Supported by a team of nearly 100 scientists, researchers, global health experts, and project managers, GH Labs develops innovative solutions to address critical technology gaps in low-resource environments with a focus on three primary areas serving Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs):
- Diagnostics ('Dx')
- Maternal, Newborn & Child Health ('MNCH') Tools for Primary Healthcare Centers
- Primary Healthcare Center ('PHC') Hardware and Equipment
Innovations incubated and developed by GH Labs include a new COVID-19 antigen test, a novel ultrasound technology suited to low-resource environments, and a vaccine cold chain container (Arktek).
Working in close partnership with Gates Ventures and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in service of its programmatic strategies, GH Labs is poised to drive innovation and impact in global health in the years to come.
The Machine Learning Group is a research group within GH Labs that develops and applies machine learning and computer vision techniques to solve healthcare problems relating to detection, diagnosis, prediction, or prognosis. Traditionally, these functions are carried out by highly trained medical professionals. In low- and middle-income countries, a shortage of experts creates a need and opportunity to fill this human resource gap with the application of artificial intelligence.Role Summary:
The Associate Machine-Learning Engineer will contribute to machine-learning development projects (e.g., ultrasound image analysis, microscopy diagnosis) within the machine learning group. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to think creatively and to operate within a flexible, fast-paced development environment dedicated to converting advanced machine-learning concepts into real-world functional solutions.Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Machine-Learning Engineer will be responsible for system design, architecture definition, performance analysis, training, and testing of complex algorithms. Technical competency and the ability to find creative solutions to difficult problems are critical skills in this position. Strong machine learning and software engineering are important foundations. The Associate Machine-Learning Scientist:
Required Skills & Experience:
- Creates system design, CNN-architecture design, and pre- and post-processing module design.
- Elucidates design choices in algorithm documentation.
- Writes code to instantiate algorithm designs using software best practices.
- Performs unit and system testing on algorithms and evaluates results.
- Performs system tradeoffs that impact algorithm performance and speed to satisfy key product requirements defined in the target product profile.
- Conducts design reviews with technical peers and management.
- Adheres to best software processes and creates associated documents.
- Creates intellectual property and submit disclosures.
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related fields.
- 3+ years of experience with machine learning algorithm and software development.
- Proficiency and experience with medical image processing.
- Proficiency and experience with classification and regression using models such as logistic regression, random forests, gradient boosted trees, and support vector machines.
- Proficiency and experience with deep learning algorithms (CNN, LSTM, etc.) in support of computer vision and object recognition/detection.
- Experience using deep learning frameworks such as Caffe, Tensorflow, Keras, or PyTorch.
- Proficiency and experience with Python, Matlab, SQL, and C++ software languages.
- Proficiency with Linux and Docker are desirable.
- Experience with software best practices, such as software configuration management, code reviews, requirements documentation, design documentation, test plans.
- Proficiency and experience with agile or waterfall software development lifecycles.
- Experience with data analysis and presentation of results in various formats.
- Scientific research and quality assurance integrity.
- Willingness to always question results, including one's own.
- Strong team orientation.
- Passion for the global health mission.
GH Labs Success Factors: We believe there are a few prioritized key capabilities and behaviors that are critical to success for all roles at GH Labs. They are:
Role Specific Success Factors:
- Accelerates Impact: Takes risks, proves/disproves concepts quickly and with a growth mindset, solves creatively, and partners strategically to achieve results and deliver impact on GH Labs mission.
- Demonstrates Collaboration: Actively listens and works with others openly and transparently to create an environment where diverse viewpoints are valued, and information is shared for the purposes of solving problems and achieving collective goals. Seeks collaborative solutions as the best path to sustainable change.
- Promotes Accountability: Holds self and others accountable so that success is celebrated, and failure is understood and addressed.
- Establishes Trust: Interacts, shares, and receives information and feedback in a way that builds trust and gains the confidence of others.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
- Ability to Multitask: can effectively prioritize and sequence activities, shifting from strategic and complex work to tactical implementation, as needed.
- Action Oriented: takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Communicates Effectively: develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences, including an ability to influence across boundaries (levels, roles, cultures).
- Decision Quality: has experience using data to drive decision-making, project planning, progress measurement, and the achievement of results.
- Nimble Learner: actively learns through experimentation when tackling new challenges, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
GH Labs is committed to being an inclusive, equitable and positive workplace, where all employees thrive personally and professionally.
We believe our workforce should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we work to serve.
We also believe in the research that demonstrates diverse groups - including groups diverse in experience and opinion - are more innovative than homogenous ones.
As such, diversity is a key pillar of our employment practices, and every applicant and employee drawn to serve the mission of GH Labs will be welcomed and will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, gender identity, color, gender expression, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, pregnancy status, veteran status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, prior protected activity, disability and any other basis protected by law.Export Controls:
This role may include access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export control requirements under the ITAR or the EAR.