Global Health Labs is seeking an experienced Engineer to join a dynamic R&D team that pushes the cutting edge of what is possible in cost, e...
Global Health Labs is seeking an experienced Engineer to join a dynamic R&D team that pushes the cutting edge of what is possible in cost, ease of use, and performance for solutions designed for low resource settings in low- and middle-income countries.
Global Health Labs, Inc (GH Labs) is a nonprofit organization created in 2020 by Gates Ventures (the private office of Bill Gates) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, with an inspiring and ambitious mission to develop innovative solutions to address unmet needs in primary healthcare and the last mile.
Supported by a team of nearly 100 scientists, researchers, global health experts, and project managers, GH Labs develops innovative solutions to address critical technology gaps in low-resource environments with a focus on three primary areas serving Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs):
- Diagnostics ('Dx')
- Maternal, Newborn & Child Health ('MNCH') Tools for Primary Healthcare Centers
- Primary Healthcare Center ('PHC') Hardware and Equipment
Innovations incubated and developed by GH Labs include a new COVID-19 antigen test, a novel ultrasound technology suited to low-resource environments, and a vaccine cold chain container (Arktek).
Working in close partnership with Gates Ventures and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in service of its programmatic strategies, GH Labs is poised to drive innovation and impact in global health in the years to come.
The Associate Data Engineer will contribute to machine-learning development projects (e.g., ultrasound image analysis, microscopy diagnosis) within the machine learning group. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to think creatively and to operate within a flexible, fast-paced development environment dedicated to converting advanced machine-learning concepts into real-world functional solutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Data Engineer will be responsible for data management and curation, performance analysis, and testing of complex algorithms. Technical competency and the ability to find creative solutions to difficult problems are critical skills in this position. Familiarity with the imaging modalities (e.g., ultrasound, microscopy) and domain knowledge in the healthcare problems addressed by the Machine Learning Group are important foundations. Familiarity with data management, machine learning and software engineering are also useful skills for this position. They will:
- Ingest data from field partners, foundations, and universities. Organize data on internal and/or cloud servers. Catalogue data in relational databases.
- Elucidate data structure in data documentation.
- Write SQL code to query database for reporting or machine learning purposes.
- Write Python or Matlab code to query database for machine learning purposes.
- Perform batch model testing per optimization and testing plans.
- Perform unit and system testing on algorithms and evaluates results.
- Adhere to data management and software processes and creates associated documents.
Required Skills and Experience:
- M.S. or PhD in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Biology, Healthcare, or related fields, or related experience.
- 1+ years of experience with data management for machine learning algorithm development.
- Experience with data management best practices.
- Proficiency and experience with Python, Matlab, and SQL languages.
- Experience with data analysis and presentation of results in various formats.
- Scientific research experience and quality assurance integrity.
- Willingness to always question results, including one's own.
- Strong team orientation.
- Passion for the global health mission.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with medical images.
- Experience with cloud services, e.g., AWS, Azure.
- Experience with software testing.
- Experience with classification and regression machine learning models.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Caffe, Tensorflow, Keras, or PyTorch.
- Experience with software best practices, such as software configuration management, requirements documentation, and test plans.
- Experience with agile or waterfall software development lifecycles.
GH Labs Success Factors: We believe there are a few prioritized key capabilities and behaviors that are critical to success for all roles at GH Labs. They are:
- Accelerates impact: takes risks, proves/disproves concepts quickly and with a growth mindset, solves creatively, and partners strategically to achieve results and deliver impact on GH Labs mission.
- Demonstrates collaboration: actively listens and works with others openly and transparently to create an environment where diverse viewpoints are valued and information is shared for the purposes of solving problems and achieving collective goals. Seeks collaborative solutions as the best path to sustainable change.
- Promotes accountability: holds self and others accountable so that success is celebrated and failure is understood and addressed.
- Establishes trust: interacts, shares, and receives information and feedback in a way that builds trust and gains the confidence of others.
Role-Specific Success Factors:
- Ability to Multitask: can effectively prioritize and sequence activities, shifting from strategic and complex work to tactical implementation, as needed.
- Action Oriented: takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Communicates Effectively: develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences, including an ability to influence across boundaries (levels, roles, cultures).
- Decision Quality: has experience using data to drive decision-making, project planning, progress measurement, and the achievement of results.
- Nimble Learner: actively learns through experimentation when tackling new challenges, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
GH Labs is committed to being an inclusive, equitable, and positive workplace where all employees thrive personally and professionally.
We believe our workforce should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we work to serve.
We also believe in the research that demonstrates diverse groups - including groups diverse in experience and opinion - are more innovative than homogenous ones.
As such, diversity is a key pillar of our employment practices, and every applicant and employee drawn to serve the mission of GH Labs will be welcomed and will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, gender identity, color, gender expression, age, national origin, religion, genetic information, pregnancy status, veteran status, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, prior protected activity, disability, and any other basis protected by law.